Friday, July 17, 2009

Corn Bread

I am amazed that the only quick bread that we are making in this challenge takes two days to make.
Here are the ingredients for the overnight soak. I was very happy to pull out 2 cups of buttermilk from my frozen assets (out of the freezer).
The next day, the polenta looks so very pretty.
It is easy not to forget anything when it is on the counter waiting to be used. Doesn't it look so pretty.
This is what 8 ounces of bacon looks like. I know because I weighed it. Turned out to be 9 pieces.
Since I was making cornbread, out came my great grandmother's skillet. I put the bacon in the skillet and tossed it in the oven.
The dry ingredients in the big bowl.
I don't like sifting together dry ingredients, whisking it together gets the job done.
The three eggs awaiting the whisks.
The eggs are beaten.
2 Tablespoons of butter, yes, I did take the wrapper off before I melted it in the microwave.
Adding the honey and butter to the eggs. I was worried about the hot butter cooking the eggs, but it didn't happen.
All the wet ingredients are combined, this is a very easy bread to make.
Adding the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. I really liked this shot.The wet ingredients combined with the dry ingredients.
The corn is in the mix. I liked the idea of corn in cornbread.
The bacon is coarsely crumbled. Of course I had to test if first.
I baked up all the bacon figuring that I would put the excess into my frozen assets. I forgot to figure in the hubby. He came home and wanted dinner. His evening plans had changed. The evening was supposed to be him enjoying time at a local pub and eat there. I gave him 2 BLTs for dinner and had no extra for the freezer.
The batter is in the skillet. The bacon is on the top. Looks good enough to eat. Time to throw it into oven for 30 minutes. I checked it after the thirty minutes, it was very wet in the center and the internal temp had not been achieved. I added 5 minutes to time because it just wasn't ready. The final time was 50 minutes because of the skillet.
The final product looked superb. Because of the bacon grease, it flipped out of the pan very easily. I think next time I make this bread (and there will be a next time) I will reduce the 2 tablespoons grease in the skillet. The bread was a little greasy. The next day, the extra was absorbed and the bread was very moist but not too much.
Isn't this a very pretty crumb shot. See the corn kernel peeking out of the middle.
I would like to add some onions with the corn in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Great photos. :) Sounds like you enjoyed baking this one.
    Great job,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... frozen assets... very funny.

    Nice write up and pictures. Love the crumb shot! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, it is nice baking along side you. I always read your blog before I start my bread.

    Tammy, Isn't frozen assets stuff that saves your time and money. I liked your mess in place. I am going to adopt that for all my future posts.

    I have to agree that a southern gal has to bake her cornbread in a skillet. Funny that we both did that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special to have your grandmother's cast iron skillet!! Your cornbread is quite beautiful. Amazing crumb shot.

    ReplyDelete