When I figured out that I was short 3 oz of flour, I almost, scraped the whole batch into the trash. Then I decided that I could play with it and get it to the proper thickness. I did that and I feel proud of being able to do that. I feel this is a lot of growth on my part.
I like this picture. You can see the egg and the barley malt. I added the malt with the wet ingredients because I was using the wet form.
Here is the dough at the proper consistency. Time to let it sit for 2 hours and expand.
After the first rise. I made equal balls of 2.3 oz of dough. I got not 9 balls but 16. This was a good surprise. This dough was easy to work with.
After the first rise, I took the dough between my two hands and shaped the ropes. Then I tied the loose knots and shaped the circles for the kaiser rolls. I think they look lovely. I got better the more that I shaped. I am looking forward to making these again. Easy and fun and very tasty all describe these rolls.
You can see how the shapes improved with the developing of technique.
Awaiting the second rise.
Both pans. As you can tell, I am not a perfectionist. The first attempts were simply allowed to rise next to their prettier sisters and brothers. The less formed rolls did taste yummy.
My dh(darling hubby) does not like seeds on his rolls. I do. So, this pan of rolls were for me.